pressing slightly on the corner where the broken solder joint was vs letting go of it. it's clearly a break there, but i've already reflowed all of the pins that go to the sensor... well, at least it's clearly working, i just have to fix a trace somewhere

Show thread

unfortunately something is still affecting the quality... i know the eyemodule isn't brilliant, but you saw how the test pattern looked when it worked right

Show thread

it's not the same footprint but it is the same pitch... if i can keep all legs straight and not bridge any of them it might work...

Show thread

well.. at least all the pads seem intact. reusing the broken connector was a bust, now this won't be usable until i source a new one...

Show thread

however, i do know that the sensor is still working because before i tried to put it back together and broke the springboard connector, i did manage to snap these pictures. there was still a bad connection somewhere and wiggling the camera daughterboard made it do some weird stuff, like the second picture where it went upside-down and contrasted

Show thread

well shit. trying to put it back together bent and broke the pins in the connector that goes to the springboard port.

i tried bridging the gaps since i don't have a replacement but it just turned into a horror show...

Show thread

HA! contact cleaner to the rescue!

the corrosion was probably causing some conductivity around where there shouldn't be

there was nothing wrong with eyemodtool after all

Show thread

inside the first gen eyemodule. i was not expecting the sensor to be on a removable header!

oh oof that corrosion

Show thread

oh, yeah, jeez. didn't think to compare with the generated b/w copy (used for displaying in the visor), it has the same waffle effect. i think the sensor itself is damaged, then. bummer

Show thread

for comparison, a picture i took with the first version of eyemodtool that supported the first eyemodule's color pictures (eyemodule2 just spits out straight jpeg)

it looks about right so something was being done right but i'm wondering if it's just off enough that more extreme colors would've always been broken with my converter

sadly i never actually used the eyemodule much to compare

Show thread

the first shot was taken with a visor deluxe on the cartridge version of the eyemodule software, this one on a neo with the updated version of the software (the cartridge version does not support the neo), and it looks about the same, so it's not a version issue

either i'm doing something wrong on conversion or my eyemodule has gotten damaged somehow

Show thread

starting to think eyemodule1 color pictures are not quite YUV (UYVY), and/or that the eyemodule1 color format is different depending on the version of the eyemodule software (since i only tried before on newer visors which needed a newer software than the one inside the eyemodule itself)

Show thread
Show older
Computer Fairies

Computer Fairies is a Mastodon instance that aims to be as queer, friendly and furry as possible. We welcome all kinds of computer fairies!